Slack provides business communication and a host of other tools for companies of all sizes. This article discusses the Slack Action in more detail.
Table of Contents
Understanding the Slack Action
The Slack action integrates Autto with your Slack workspace. It allows your workflows to send messages, attachments, and simple questions into your company's Slack workspace.
Before you can use a Slack action in your workflow, you must first connect a Slack account to your Autto account from the Integrations option under the Main Menu. For more information, see Integrating with Slack.
Setting Up a Slack Action
Use a Slack action when you need to send messages, attachments, and simple questions into your company's Slack workspace.
- Drag a Slack action to the canvas of the Workflow Editor, then connect it to the previous action in the workflow.
- Position your cursor over the action, then click the Edit icon when it appears.
- On the Action Editor, you may optionally change the name of the Slack action, which is set to Slack by default.
- To request the recipient's input before workflow execution, click the Enable Question? button.
- If you have multiple Slack accounts connected to Autto, select the workspace to connect to from the Send Slack Notification or Question to Channel/User list.
- By default, information from your workflow is sent to a Channel in the Slack workspace you selected in Step 5. Select the channel from the list.
- To send the information via a direct message, or DM, to a member of the workspace, choose the DM option on the right, then select a user from the list.
- Under the Attachments section, select the file/s that will be attached to the action, if applicable. For more information, see Attaching Files to Actions.
- Enter the message that will be displayed to the workspace/user. Use this to include instructions to your users.
- Click the X button on the Action Editor to save your changes and close the window.
How a Slack Action Appears in a Workflow
A Slack action will allow your workflow to send messages, attachments, and simple questions into your company's Slack workspace. Once Autto sends information to Slack, you can work on the workflow from within Slack.
If there are other Actions after the Slack action, the workflow redirects the user on to the next Action in the workflow.
NOTE: An Autto Slack app that will allow messages, attachments, and simple questions to be sent from Slack to Autto is currently undergoing development. This app will allow users to initiate a workflow from within Slack and bring it to Autto.