The Email action allows an automated e-mail to be sent as part of a workflow. This article discusses the Email action in more detail.
Table of Contents
- Understanding the Email Action
- How an Email Action Appears in the User Application
Understanding the Email Action
When setting up an Email action, you may enter your email address as the sender, if you have set up Email Security under the Administration option on the Main menu. Aside from the sender details, Email actions can be set up with a subject, CC and BCC recipients, and an email body formatted using the Rich Text editor.
Email actions can include answers collected from questions and other information stored in square brackets, conditional text based on If-Else logic, and attachments such as AuttoDocs. Emails can also be used to notify workflow owners that workflows have been run.
To Set Up an Email Action
Use an Email action anytime you need to send an email in your Workflow.
To set up an Email action:
- Drag an Email action to the canvas of the Workflow Editor.
- Position your cursor over the action, then click the Edit icon when it appears.
- On the Action Editor, optionally change the name of the Email action to a more descriptive one for the benefit of Admins and Managers.
- If Email Security has not been set up, the From box is disabled for editing. Skip to Step 5. Otherwise, if the From box is enabled for editing, you may enter the email address of the person you want to appear as the Sender on the box.
- The main recipient's email address is often stored in a square bracket, but you can also just type in an e-mail address. Enter the opening bracket on the To box and select the square bracket from the list that appears. An email address can also be entered directly into the box.
NOTE: Use a comma to separate email addresses of multiple recipients.
- Repeat Step 5 for the CC and BCC boxes, if applicable.
- Attach any files to the email, if required. For more information, see To Attach a File to an Email Action.
- Enter the subject for the email. Square brackets may be used within the subject, e.g. Welcome to AUTTO, [customer_name].
- Enter the body in the Email text box, formatting using the Rich Text editor and adding square brackets and conditional text as necessary.
- Click the x button on the top-left to save your changes and close the Action Editor.
To Attach a File to an Email Action
Email actions may have any number of files attached to them.
To attach a file to an Email action:
- Add an Email action to your workflow (see To Set Up an Email Action).
- On the Attachments section, click the button that appears right below the Subject box.
- On the Attachments window, select the type of file attachment from the list.There will be an OK button if there is a file of that type that can be attached to the workflow. These files would have been stored via Square Brackets or added to earlier Actions in the workflow, although you can also attach files that have not been added to the workflow (termed as static files in AUTTO). You may add as many files as you want.
- Click the X button on the Attachments window. The file then appears under the Attachments section. You may then proceed and set up the rest of the Email action.
NOTE: Allowable file types include .PNG, .JPG, .JPEG, .PDF, .DOC, .DOCX, and .XLSX. Maximum file size for upload is 25MB.
How an Email Action Appears in the User Application
The Email action does not appear in a Workflow (this is why you cannot preview an Email action). Rather, it does its work behind the scenes, sending the email on to the recipients without showing on the User Application.